Friday, February 27, 2009

This isn't going to bring me closure

From KSNW TV News in Kansas, "Death penalty opponents ask committee to end it":

TOPEKA, Kansas - Hearings began Thursday on a bill that would abolish the death penalty in Kansas. The Senate Judiciary Committee is considering the legislation in an effort to save money.

In front of a legislative committee, Sue Norton told her personal story.

"In 1990, I received a phone call and they said that my daddy and my stepmother had been shot to death in their house," Norton said.

The killer received the death penalty and was executed. But Sue opposes capital punishment.

"I watched the execution and I really realized you know what, this really isn't going to bring me closure," she said.

So, asks Sue, without a benefit for victims, why is Kansas spending all this money?


Read the rest of the story.

No comments: