Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Silent Crisis

We've added Judy Kerr to our online Gallery of Victims' Stories. Judy, who is spokeswoman and victim liaison for California Crime Victims for Alternatives to the Death Penalty, has written several pieces about the effect of unsolved murders on victims' families, and in her Gallery page we have this quote of hers:

“My brother’s killer is still walking the streets. My message and voice are focused on dispelling the delusion that the death penalty keeps us safe. We are wasting millions each year sentencing a few aging convicts to death while thousands more murders each year remain unsolved and tens of thousands of family members like me are left with little hope for any justice. "I don't want the state to execute my brother's killer but I do want him arrested and punished for what he has done.”

California Crime Victims for Alternatives to the Death Penalty has just released a report on the problem of unsolved homicides in California, titled The Silent Crisis.

Here also is MVFHR's newsletter issue focusing on unsolved murders, with quotes from Judy and several others.

No comments: