Sunday, April 17, 2011

New page in Gallery of Victims' Stories

We've added Kathy Dillon's story to our online Gallery of Victims' Stories. Kathy, whose father, a New York State trooper, was murdered in 1974, was also featured in our newsletter story about families of law enforcement who oppose the death penalty.

Kathy says, “Perhaps if I truly believed that [the death penalty] protects police officers, then in some ways I might feel differently about it. But I don’t believe that it does. Even in the case of my father’s murder, the death penalty was in place in New York State for first-degree murder of a police officer, but it didn’t protect him that day. And for me, it always comes down to my belief that humans shouldn’t have the power to decide who lives and who dies. I feel that it is wrong for one person to take the life of another, either in an attack of violence or in response to violence.”

No comments: