Friday, April 6, 2012

"If I changed my position ..."

Congratulations to our colleagues in Connecticut on the Senate's passage of the death penalty repeal bill!

And in another state that has been working hard for abolition, here's an article about MVFHR Director Renny Cushing's upcoming visit. From yesterday's Billings (Montana) Gazette, "Murder victim's son works against the death penalty":

Renny Cushing is what some might call a conundrum: the son of a murder victim who opposes the death penalty.

The New Hampshire man held that stance on capital punishment before his father was shot to death in 1988. He didn’t alter it afterward.

“If I changed my position on the death penalty, it would only give more power to the killer,” Cushing, 59, said Thursday in a telephone interview. “Not only would they take away my father, they would take away my values.”

Cushing, the founder and executive director of Murder Victims’ Families for Human Rights, will speak in Billings on April 14 as part of the Montana Abolition Coalition’s annual meeting. The meeting and the talks by Cushing and Sabrina Butler-Porter are open to the public.

Read the full article.


No comments: