Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten years

On September 11, 2001, Terry Greene's brother Donald was a passenger aboard United Flight 93, which crashed in Shanksville, Pennsylvania after passengers aborted attempts to reach Washington, DC. In MVFHR's fall 2011 newsletter, Terry says,

It has been 10 years since the attacks of 9/11. I recall those dark days. It was as if I, myself, were collapsing into an abyss. How would our family ever be the same without my brother? How could this senseless violence have ripped Don from his wife and children? Don’s conversations, with me or with anyone for that matter, would be filled with the latest anecdotes about his family, which he adored to no end. Don’s children, close in age to my son, were so young at the time of the attacks; Charlie had just turned ten only days before and Jody was only seven.

Ten years later and that deep love Don gave to his family has not ended. We have all continued with Don in our hearts to strengthen us. His presence there is so gentle and caring.

Some people are surprised that I don’t want revenge against those who perpetrated the attacks. For one thing, I don’t want to displace Don from my heart to harbor hatred. The perpetrators have not earned a place in my heart; it is reserved as a place to nourish my memories of Don that dwell there.

Read the rest of Terry's comments and words from other MVFHR members in the fall 2011 issue of our newsletter Article 3, which contains a feature "September 11th Families: 10 Years Later."

No comments: