Monday, January 14, 2008

I Did Not Need to See Anyone Die

The ABC news show that we mentioned last week, featuring MVFHR member Aba Gayle and author Joan Cheever, is now available online. You can view Aba Gayle's segment here and Joan Cheever's segment here.

In other news, Mark Weddleton, Field Organizer for Nebraksans Against the Death Penalty, sent around an article from the 1/7/08 Lincoln Journal Star that had the headline "Police captain, sister of murder victim speak against the death penalty." The article quotes Miriam Kelle, whose brother, James Thimm, was tortured and killed in 1985 by cult members on a farm in Rulo, Nebraska. Read that article here.

Thanks to Mark for sending, as well, a copy of the op-ed piece that Miriam Kelle had published in the 1/9/08 Omaha World Herald. Here is that piece in its entirety:

I have been opposed to the death penalty all my life. Nearly 25 years ago, that belief was put to the test when Michael Ryan took the life of my brother, Jim Thimm.

Jim wanted to do more for the farmers in trouble during the 1980s farm crisis. Food drives for the community food bank did not seem enough to offset the losses he saw. He looked for answers from a minister he'd met, the Rev. James Wickstrom.

As I heard more of Wickstrom's teachings, I became concerned. How could he be a Christian and preach hate? Wickstrom had ties to the Posse Comitatus, an offshoot of the KKK.

Despite our family's dismay, Jim joined a Nebraska cult based on Wickstrom's teachings. The cult was led by Michael Ryan. His new cult thinking began to drive our family away from each other.

Jim had reached a point where his philosophy was more important than his family. I tried to convince Jim that the love of Christ was missing from Ryan's group, but Jim moved to Rulo with the cult and disappeared from our lives.

Our contact was severed until one day when I heard some members of the Rulo group had been arrested. I knew another member of the cult, (John) David Andreas, so I visited him in jail and offered my help and support.

At this point, I was unaware of what had happened to my brother. David talked to me, but he was very nervous and couldn't bring himself to tell me that Jim was dead. In ignorance, I promised David I would try to help him in whatever way I could.

It was not until several days later that I learned that my brother Jim was dead, and not just dead but tortured to death. The details revealed that Jim challenged Michael Ryan's teachings of hate, and Ryan chose to make a terrible example of him.

Difficult as it was after the funeral I went to see David again. I visited him in jail because I had given him my word. At the time, I thought he may very well face the death penalty. (He was one of five men convicted of charges related to Thimm's murder. Only Michael Ryan was sentenced to death—editor.)

As more facts came out about what Michael Ryan and David had done, my family and the lawyers all agreed that the men deserved the death penalty. I didn't know what to do or what was right. How could I alone disagree? Maybe it was right. I began to struggle with my own conviction that killing was wrong, no matter who was doing the killing.

During this time, I continued to visit David in prison. I hoped to help him, and I kept praying he would leave behind the cult thinking. I saw positive change and was hopeful for his future. Finally, he was released from prison.

My husband and I went to the party to celebrate with him. It was a very tearful but meaningful event. I was strengthened in my conviction that the death penalty was wrong.

Perhaps it was easier for me to forgive David because I had known him prior to my brother's murder. But since then, I have met James Haverkamp, who also was involved in Jim's death. I was able to do this because I believe all human beings have value, no matter what horrible things they've done.

I also have seen Michael Ryan. I saw him behind bars. I could leave. He could not. This was enough for me. I confirmed for myself again that I did not need to see anyone die for my peace of mind.

My heart seems to not let me rest, with the death penalty coming very close for Michael Ryan. We must get Nebraska legislators to end this terrible things of capital punishment at last.

I have decided to speak publicly on my own experience to share the message I have learned: Love has more to do with our world than hate.

No comments: